The 7th edition of the FIFA Women's World Cup is currently taking place in Canada. The 2015 tournament kicked-off on the 6th of June, with the Final to be played in Vancouver on the 5th of July.
The European Club Association, through its Women's Football Committee (WFC), recognises the growing importance of the women's game worldwide. For this reason, the European Club Association has conducted for the first time a research analysing the overall situation of players released by European clubs for the tournament.
Key Facts & Figures:
- 40.8% of the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup players (225 players from a total of 552) currently play in one of the European national championships
- 74 European clubs from 16 different UEFA Member Associations are involved in the release of players
- The full squads of France, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland currently play in Europe
- Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) is the European club releasing most players, with 14 players released
- 42 players are registered with German clubs
Please find further key facts and figures in the attached infographics map. Click here