Third ECA Youth Knowledge Exchange to take place in Leipzig
Third ECA Youth Knowledge Exchange to take place in Leipzig...
UEFA has today announced details of the distribution payments made to clubs for the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League in the 2016/17 season. The payments are made from the net revenue accrued in club competitons, following an agreement established with the cooperation of the European Club Association (ECA).
Please find below details of the distribution of each of the competitions.
UEFA Champions League
The clubs that took part in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League group stage, and the ten eliminated in the playoffs, shared more than €1.396bn in payments from UEFA.
Download the full description to clubs here
Under the distribution system for the 2015?18 commercial cycle, which was introduced in 2015/16, all net revenue from the club competitions (including the sale of tickets and hospitality packages for the Champions League and Europa League finals and the Super Cup) is centralised and reallocated to the Champions League and Europa League clubs.
Once more, €50m was shared by the 20 clubs that took part in the play-offs, with the ten clubs that qualified for the Champions League group stage receiving €2m each and the other ten, who joined the Europa League group stage, each receiving €3m.
Each club was guaranteed a minimum payment of €12.7m for participating in the group stage, while additional performance bonuses of €1.5m per win and €500,000 per draw were also paid out. The €500,000 surplus for each drawn match was pooled and redistributed to all clubs taking part in the group stage in accordance with the number of wins they achieved. Further bonuses were paid for each knockout round reached: €6m for the round of 16, €6.5m for the quarter-finals, €7.5m for the semi-finals, €11m for the runners-up in the final and €15.5 for the winners. Monies from the market pool were divided according to the value of the TV market in each country, among other factors.
Finally, a surplus of €73m was allocated to all group phase clubs at the end of the season, in proportion to the amounts generated by each club during the season.
The figures do not include solidarity payments to the clubs that participated in the qualifying rounds, nor the additional solidarity payments made to national leagues for clubs' youth development projects.
UEFA Europa League
More than €423.1m in payments from UEFA have been shared by the 56 clubs that took part in the 2016/17 UEFA Europa League group stage and/or knockout phase - compared with over €411.1m in 2015/16.
Download the full distribution to clubs here
Club competition revenue - which is centralised in a single pot and allocated to the Champions League and the Europa League clubs - is distributed to clubs involved in the Europa League as of the group stage as follows: 60% is distributed in fixed amounts, while the remaining 40% is distributed in variable amounts calculated on the basis of the commercial value of each national market.
The fixed amounts saw clubs receive €2.6m for participating in the group stage; €360,000 for each win in the group stage and €120,000 for each draw, with any undistributed money (i.e. €120,000 per draw) being redistributed across all clubs contesting the group stage in proportion to the number of victories achieved by each side.
Each group-winner received €600,000, and the runners-up €300,000. Every club taking part in the round of 32 earned €500,000, while clubs participating in the round of 16 each received €750,000. The eight quarter-finalists received €1m each, and the four semi-finalists €1.6m each. Winners Manchester United earned €6.5m, and runners-up Ajax received €3.5m.
Monies from the market pool were divided according to the value of the TV market in each country, among other factors.
The total amount of €423.1m includes a surplus of €23.5m allocated to all group phase clubs at the end of the season, in proportion to the amounts obtained by each club during the season.
The figures in the table do not take account of solidarity payments made to clubs that participated in the qualifying rounds, nor does it include the additional solidarity payments made to national leagues for clubs' youth development projects.