ECA is contributing to two Gold Standard carbon offsetting projects to reduce its carbon footprint.

In parallel with COP28, ECA is taking significant steps towards improving its environmental impact and, in alignment with the United Nations-led initiative Football for the Goals, is now measuring and offsetting its carbon footprint.

On joining Football for the Goals in early 2023, ECA CEO, Charlie Marshall, said: “ECA is proud to be a member of Football for the Goals in support of the Sustainable Development Goals. We fully recognise the importance of our role in driving sustainability-led thinking and action across European club football.”


Now with the recent appointment of Gaia Pretner as Head of Sustainability, ECA is making a strong statement on behalf of European football as the continent works to meet the challenges of climate change.

ECA’s main environmental impact derives from the travel activity of its staff and members, especially for its main annual event, the General Assembly. As a first step, ECA has calculated the specific carbon footprint of its most recent General Assembly in Berlin. This event generated 292 tons of CO2, of which 70% derived from business travel and the remaining 30% from purchased goods and services, in particular the hotel catering services used.

ECA Head of Sustainability, Gaia Pretner, said: “The analysis of the main causes of emissions is a useful exercise to help inform the development of ECA’s Sustainability Strategy, which includes a carbon emission prevention and reduction plan. While we further develop this strategy, we decided to immediately begin offsetting our emissions via the purchase of carbon credits on the carbon offset market.”


ECA naturally chose carbon offsetting projects based in Europe, both of which are Gold Standard certified. The two projects are:

  • A wind farm based in Türkiye in the Gallipoli district which contributes to supplying clean energy to approximately 5,000 households across the country. This project adheres to three Sustainable Development Goals: affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth and, of course, climate action. Türkiye's achievement of 100% ECA membership in its top division clubs adds significance to this choice;
  • The second project is a plastic recycling facility in Romania that saves carbon emissions by reducing the amount of plastic bottles that need to be produced and improves plastic recycling in the region. This project contributes to 10 Sustainable Development Goals: good health and well-being, quality education, gender equality, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, industry, innovation and infrastructure, reduced inequalities, sustainable cities and communities, responsible production and consumption, and climate action.